Surya Bhedi Pranayama or Right Nostril breathing is made of two words Surya (Sun)+ Bhedi (piercing). It is one of the most important Pranayamas which is mentioned in the Bible of Yoga, Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
Surya Bhedi Pranayama, As per Yogic mythology, the left nostril is called Ida or Chandra Nadi(moon nostril) and the right nostril signifies Surya or Pingla(Sun nostril). Hatha Yoga Pradipika defines it as:-
“Asane sukhade Yogi, badhdhawa chaiwasanam tat;Daksha nadya samakrisya bahi stham pawnam shanah.”
Sitting comfortably, the Yogi should attain steadiness in his posture and might practise how to breathe deeply through the right passage.
As Yoga propounds that the place of the Sun in the human body is close to the navel and naturally it has a heating impact on the entire region.
In this practice, we breathe in with the right nostril and exhale out with the left nostril. It pierces Pingala and activates prana shakti in this Nadi.
During our Yoga Teacher Training Programmes and Yoga Retreats, we demonstrate proper alignment of Asana and the practice of this pranayama which has a deep impact on the Pranic body or Pranamaya Kosha.
Awarded Indian Yoga Blog
A sister branch of Yog Niketan Dham
How to practice Surya Bhedi Pranayama
- To choose a comfortable meditative pose most probably Siddhasana.
- Erect the spine to attain steadiness.
- This Pranayama should be practised with an empty stomach. It might practice 5-10 minutes.
- Bring all the attention to Prana energy. Close the left nostril with two fingers.
- Gently inhale with right nostril and make retention of breath.
- To practice Jalandhar and Mool bandha at the same time as much as possible.
- Practice exhaling out through the left nostril in a deep manner.
- Keep practising the same for another 5 to 10 rounds.
Benefits of Surya Bhedi Pranayama
- It cures all diseases that are caused by the insufficiency of oxygen in the blood.
- It is an ideal practice to boost appetite.
- Very helpful for increasing the digestive fire.
- It pierces Prana in the navel by which Manipur Chakra is activated.
- Best for awakening Kundalini shakti.
- To improve the immunity of the body.
- If there is too much cold sensation in feet and hands, it should be practised.
- To cure Vata dosha.
- This Pranayama is the best to cure a cold, sinuses, bronchitis and Asthma problems.
- It has also tremendous work in Leucoderma and other skin problems.
Precautions of Surya Bhedi Pranayama
- If Pingala Nadi predominates during the day, it is not advisable to practice.
- Pingala activates the sympathetic nervous system and the body is heated, it should not be practised.
- In the case of high blood pressure, it should be avoided.
- If you feel dizzy or uncomfortable please do not attempt it.