Kapalbhati Pranayama is cleansing pranayama, producing Jathragini (digestive fire) and throwing the phlegm out from the lungs.
Kapal Bhati is a Sanskrit word made of two words Kapal and Bhati. Kapala means forehead, and Bhati for luminosity, glow or shine.
Kapalbhati Pranayam was a medium for illumination and Chakra activation in ancient times. In modern times Kapal Bhati is mainly practising for curing lungs disorders and heart problems.
Hatha Yoga Pradipika defines Kapal Bhati as a cleansing exercise that is the primary practice of Shatkarmas or six cleansing techniques.
How to practice Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapalbhati pranayam is similar to Bhastrika Pranayama. In Bhastrika, equal pressure is exerted on both Rechaka(inhalation) and Pooraka(exhalation), while in Kapal Bhati, full attention is on exhaling vigorously. Kapal bhati Pranayam is done in this sequence: –
- Sit in Vajrasana (the best pose to practice) or Siddhasana for better results.
- Keep straight the trunk, neck and head.
- Just take a deep breath to the diaphragm; it will contract and expand the core region.
- Pay attention to throwing out the air by stroking the abdominal area.
- For spiritual growth, resolve in the mind that all impurities and disorders eradicate from the body during exhalation.
- Beginners may start with a smaller number of strokes. For example, it can be 30-40 strokes in creating. After regular practice, a person should practice 60 strokes in a minute.
- At an advanced level, it may be practised 10-20 minutes both times in the morning and evening.
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapalbhati Pranayam is highly beneficial for physical, mental and spiritual awakening. It is a cleansing exercise of the stomach, but it has tremendous cognitive growth and attaining the highest level of Yogic practices. The benefits of Kapal bhati Pranayam are as under: –
- Kapalbhati Pranayam is the best way to cure the digestive tract and produce digestive fire.
- It releases phlegm from the lungs, effective in curing sinuses, bronchitis, asthma, and respiratory disorders.
- Kapal Bhati cures an obstinate disease like constipation within five days.
- After practising Kapal bhati pranayam, the core contracts highly support activating the solar plexus channel.
- Kapal bhati pranayam can permanently cure obesity disorder.
- Kapal bhati pranayam regulates diabetes and activates Pancreas, and it helps in losing extra fat from the abdomen.
- It helps to cure heart, lungs and brain disorders.
- After practising Kapal bhati pranayam for 30 minutes daily, it can fully cure diseases like AIDS, vitiligo, infertility, psoriasis, cysts, hepatitis, etc.
- Kapal Bhati increases Oja(glow) on the forehead. It also sharpens memory.
- Kapal bhati pranayama is one of the main practices of activating Kundalini power.
- It cleanses all the chakras of the human body and activates all seven chakras.
- It brings the equilibrium in thoughts and stabilizes the mind by which all negative thinking disappears, and one attains the highest level of self-attainment.
- Kapal bhati Pranayam is very effective to grow a spiritual lifestyle. It establishes a deep connection with the self.
Precautions of Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapal bhati pranayam has a magnificent work on a person’s physical and mental well-being. But, even it has many benefits, it also has a few limitations. There are a few precautions of kapal bhati pranayama: –
- If someone suffers from a severe heart condition, they should avoid Kapal bhati pranayam.
- Kapal Bhati is not advisable in stomach problems like appendix, hernia and surgical cases.
- In case of high blood pressure, should not practise it longer.
- If a person has kidney failure, Kapal Bhati should not practise.
- In the case of having extreme fluids and acid in the bowels, one should not attempt it at a fast pace.
- In the case of open-heart surgery, one should avoid it.
- It is highly advisable to practise Kapal Bhati under an experienced yoga teacher or trainer.