Kapalbhati Pranayama is cleansing pranayama, producing Jathragini (digestive fire), and throwing the phlegm out from the lungs.
Kapal Bhati is a Sanskrit word made of two words Kapal and Bhati. Kapala means forehead, and Bhati means luminosity, glow, or shine.
Kapalbhati Pranayam was a medium for illumination and Chakra activation in ancient times. In modern times, Kapal Bhati is mainly practiced for curing lung disorders and heart problems.
Hatha Yoga Pradipika defines Kapal Bhati as a cleansing exercise that is the primary practice of Shatkarmas, or six cleansing techniques. There are three kinds of Kapalbhati, and these are:-
- Vatkarma Kapalbhati(air cleansing);
- Vyutkarma Kapalbhati(sinus cleansing);
- Shitkarma Kapalbhati(mucus cleansing).
How to practice Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapalbhati pranayam is similar to Bhastrika Pranayama. In Bhastrika, equal pressure is exerted on Rechaka(inhalation) and Pooraka(exhalation), while in Kapal Bhati, full attention is on exhaling vigorously. Kapal bhati Pranayam is done in this sequence: –
- Sit in Vajrasana (the best pose to practice) or Siddhasana for better results.
- Keep straight the trunk, neck, and head.
- Please take a deep breath into the diaphragm; it will contract and expand the core region.
- Pay attention to throwing out the air by stroking the abdominal area.
- For spiritual growth, resolve in the mind that all impurities and disorders are eradicated from the body during exhalation.
- Beginners may start with a smaller number of strokes. For example, it can take 30-40 strokes to create. After regular practice, a person should practice 60 strokes in a minute.
- At an advanced level, practitioners may practice it for 10-20 minutes in the morning and evening.
Benefits of Kapalbhati Pranayama
Kapal bhati Pranayam is highly beneficial for physical, mental, and spiritual awakening. It is a cleansing exercise of the stomach but has tremendous cognitive growth and attains the highest Yogic practices. The benefits of Kapal Bhati Pranayam are as follows: –
- Kapal Bhati Pranayam is the best way to cure the digestive tract and produce digestive fire.
- It releases phlegm from the lungs, effectively curing sinuses, bronchitis, asthma, and respiratory disorders.
- Kapal Bhati cures an obstinate disease like constipation within five days.
- After practicing Kapal Bhati pranayam, the core contracts highly support activating the solar plexus channel.
- Kapal Bhati pranayam can permanently cure obesity disorder.
- It regulates diabetes, activates the Pancreas, and helps lose extra fat from the abdomen.
- It helps to cure heart, lung, and brain disorders.
- Practicing Kapal Bhati pranayam for 30 minutes daily can fully cure diseases like AIDS, vitiligo, infertility, psoriasis, cysts, hepatitis, etc.
- Kapal Bhati increases Oja(glow) on the forehead. It also sharpens memory.
- It is considered one of the leading practices of activating Kundalini power.
- It cleanses all the chakras of the human body and activates all seven.
- It brings the equilibrium in thoughts and stabilizes the mind by which all negative thinking disappears, and one attains the highest level of self-attainment.
- Kapal Bhati Pranayam is very effective in growing a spiritual lifestyle. It establishes a deep connection with the self.
- Kapalbhati pranayama works excellently on Samana prana in our body, which is very effective for curing stomach problems.
- This pranayama is practiced as a cleansing technique in Hatha yoga practices. The main benefit of practicing is to keep the digestive tract clean.
- It has perfect working on improving the functioning of the liver and kidneys.
- It improves the memory and is very effective for the nerves.
- Kapalbhati is highly suitable for removing under the eyes and releasing pressure from the looks.
Precautions of Kapalbhati Pranayama
It has magnificent work on a person’s physical and mental well-being. But, even though it has many benefits, it also has a few limitations. There are a few precautions of kapal bhati pranayama: –
- If someone suffers from a severe heart condition, they should avoid Kapal Bhati pranayam.
- Kapal Bhati is not advisable for stomach problems like the appendix, hernia, and surgical cases.
- In case of high blood pressure, you should not practice it longer.
- If a person has kidney failure, Kapal Bhati should not practice.
- One should not attempt it quickly in the case of extreme fluids and acid in the bowels.
- In the case of open-heart surgery, one should avoid it.
- Practicing Kapal Bhati under an experienced yoga teacher or trainer is highly advisable.
- It should be practiced in several strokes, which is for the precautions of the abdomen.
- It may aggravate vomiting; please be careful during practice.
- There can also be a possibility of dry mouth. Please practice Shitli pranayama after this.