Maha Bandha word is taken from the Sanskrit language. Maha means great and Bandha stands for a Lock. Hatha Yoga Pradipika describes Bandha as a mandatory practice in daily routine to attain the highest level of Yogic life.
It is a sequence of three Bandhas, Mool Bandha (root locking), Uddiyana Bandha (abdominal locking), and Jalandhar Bandha (throat locking).
Maharishi Gherand mentioned that a person should be master in this Bandha after practicing all three Bandhas repeatedly. It is an advanced practice that comes later when a Yogi has experience in all three Bandhas.
How to practice Maha Bandha?
The great lock should be practiced early in the morning with an empty stomach when there is a lot of availability of Prana Vayu or a vital force in the universe. In practicing Maha Bandha, this process is required: –
- Sit in any comfortable sitting posture i.e. Sukhasana, Siddhasana, and Padmasana.
- Keep straight your back so the prana is moving freely to the entire body system.
- Place the palms over knees, just relax in posture.
- Take a deep breath, fill the lungs with fresh air and exhale fully outside.
- Make Kumbhaka or hold your breath outside. Firstly make Mool Bandha, second attempt Uddiyana Bandha, and finally practice Jalandhar bandha.
- Hold the breath for 20 to 30 seconds until it is possible. When you need to open the locks please open them one by one starting from Jalandhar Bandha.
- Please make sure that breathing is proper, it should not be disturbed. If it is required make 3 normal breathing.
- Practice Maha Bandha 5 to 10 times without any break and concentrate on the root channel.
Benefits of Maha Bandha
It brings the efficiency of all three Bandhas together. In the meantime, a practitioner attains all the benefits of practicing Mool Bandha, Uddiyana Bandha, and Jalandhar Bandha. There are many benefits of Maha Bandha and these are: –
- Maha Bandha is excellent in awakening Kundalini power.
- It nourishes our intestines and they work progressively.
- The endocrine system is very active after practicing this bandha.
- It activates the solar-plexus channel and it is a wonderful practice for gaining a good appetite.
- It brings complete equilibrium to the body and mind.
- It should never be attempted if the stomach is heavy. It may cause stomach aching.
- If there is any surgery on the stomach, it should be avoided.
- Maha Bandha should not be attempted by persons who are suffering from heart disorders, Hernia, Ulcer, and Appendix problems.
- During pregnancy, it is advisable not to attempt Maha Bandha.